Tuesday 2 September 2014

I'll Give It My All...Tomorrow

 I picked up I’ll Give It My All….Tomorrow at my local library. This crudely drawn manga glistened among the highly polished titles asking me to pick it up. It easily had the most uninspiring cover design I’ve seen. I remember commenting to myself, “I can draw better than that” but the title was the real reason I picked it up.

Once I sat down I was deeply touched and involved in the life of Shizuo. A middle-aged man who ditch his unfulfilling job as a soulless office worker to pursue his dreams of becoming a manga artist,no matter how impossible they may seem. Although Shizuo has declared to the world his intention in life, he still has to battle himself. Rather than work, he plays video game and tends to vegetate at home, which annoys his father. 

His daughter, friends and work college accepts him for what he is. Just a man who does what he has to, to pursue his goal of getting a manga published. Its a hard uphill battle for Shizuo as he faces rejection again and again and yet, he never gives up.
Despite the fact that he lacks charisma, good looks, talent, or even common sense at times, people are drawn to him because of his kind heart and intent to live his life to the fullest.  At times the story can dwell too much on the "loser" aspect of the and less on the "lovable." Eventually the these aspects become more balanced. We get to root for Shizuo, hoping that this perpetual underdog will get at least one small chance to see his dreams come true.  

Shizuo journey really hit especially close to home for me. Although I might not be 40 yet, I’ve only just started my journey to happiness. I still struggle with my own personal demons, specially about my skills and talents . I'll Give It My All...Tomorrow has taught me some important little lessons about how beautiful the bonds between people can be and believing in yourself. 





4.5 out 5  persistence waffles of dreams.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment